Hurst frame

In 1892 a Hurst frame was installed to enable flour to be milled when there was insufficient wind strength. The Hurst frame would have been driven by a portable steam engine by way of the pulleys on the outside of the mill.

In our quest to become a regular supplier of flour we intend to use the Hurst frame for the same reasons as the previous millers. We took the first steps by lifting, cleaning and inspecting the stones. These stones are easier to lift because there is a hoist attached to the Hurst frame

A tractor was used as the prime mover and a belt transmitted the drive to the pulleys. We were able to prove that everything worked. The next step is to try the stones to grind flour of a consistent quality

This entry was posted in Restoration Update and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.